Same site tougher foe for field hockey team

9-5wakepre.EKP.jpg
Sophomore Katelyn Falgowski has been a vocal leader for UNC before a tough game against Wake Forest tonight" coach Karen Shelton said.

Less than a week after its first loss since 2006 the North Carolina field hockey team is returning to face an even more formidable opponent.

After falling to No. 5 Iowa on Sunday at Wake Forest's Kentner Stadium" the Tar Heels have spent all week preparing to return to Winston-Salem to face No. 3 Wake Forest - a squad that beat Iowa just a day before the Hawkeyes faced the Tar Heels.

""I think it's exciting" junior forward Danielle Forword said. I think if anything" (the loss) is going to drive us more because we remember what it felt like.""

Forword" who scored five goals in two games last weekend to capture ACC Player of the Week honors" emphasized how ready the Tar Heels are to get back to the Triad.

""It's always exciting to play the Deacons" she said. We play very similar styles of hockey" and it's going to be a battle.""

North Carolina players are familiar with those battles as the Tar Heels and Deacons often schedule an extra nonconference game with each other in addition to their annual ACC matchup - a tradition that continues this year.

With the first contest looming"" UNC coach Karen Shelton said two players in particular have stepped up in practice - senior Britt van Beek and sophomore Katelyn Falgowski.

""Britt has been doing a great job of leading the team as our captain" Shelton said. She's not super vocal" but she leads by example.""

Falgowski" the more outspoken of the two" participated in her first practices this week after Shelton gave her last week off to recover from the Olympics.

""With her experience at the international level" (Falgowski) has been able to speak up and talk about things and encourage people" Shelton said.

But no matter how much coaching the team receives from Shelton and Falgowski, it will come down to execution tonight against the undefeated Demon Deacons.

And given the rivalry's past, neither team should be surprised to see the match go past 70 minutes. Two of the teams' three matchups last season required extra time, with UNC taking each by one goal.

It's a healthy rivalry" Shelton said. I think both teams know each other very well" and I think both teams respect each other very much.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.