Defender Engen embracing new role for Heels

Engen
Whitney Engen" despite 18 goals at UNC moved to defender this year. Now coach Anson Dorrance says she?s one of the?best we?ve ever had at back.?

Whitney Engen didn't expect the switch.

Her resume at forward seemed to say enough: The junior trained for two years with the U-20 U.S. national team started as a first-year on North Carolina's 2006 NCAA championship team and placed as the team's second-leading scorer the past two seasons.

But when top defenders Ariel Harris Jessica Maxwell and Robyn Gayle graduated last year UNC coach Anson Dorrance knew he had to find an experienced replacement somewhere. He didn't want to hand the keys to the defense to an incoming first-year and he found his solution in Engen.

And just like that the veteran striker was moved to center back.

At first the Rolling Hills Estates Calif." native wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea.

""It was difficult for me to see that transition as fun for me because I had played offensive roles on every team I had ever been a part of"" she said.

But she agreed to try, and this summer she began at square one on the other side of the ball to learn the game of soccer all over again. Instead of putting balls into the back of the net, she suddenly became responsible for keeping them out.

Engen had to completely re-adjust her mental outlook before games. Being coordinated with the other backs is pivotal in the Tar Heels' defensive scheme — an adjustment from offense, where she relied more on individual play.

If she gets out of sync with fellow backs, there is a large risk of a defensive lapse that could cost her team a goal.

You have to be really patient at all times in the back" and she's so used to going all for it all the time on offense" said Kristi Eveland, a two-year starter on defense for the Tar Heels. So I think that might have been an adjustment.""

So far" Dorrance's gamble has hit the jackpot. Engen blew past the traditional learning curve and has blossomed into an impressive back performing brilliantly against UNC's brutal non-conference schedule this season.

She already garnered several early-season awards including defensive MVP of the Duke Adidas Classic" and two selections to national college teams of the week.

But perhaps her highest accolade this season has come from her coach.

Dorrance repeatedly reiterated that he would put her ""in the class of the best we've ever had in the back" a colossal compliment from a man who has coached 19 national title teams at UNC.

The greatest defenders get a jump on any service knocked through and Whitney did that almost right out of the gate" Dorrance said.

She has an instinct for where the ball's going that I think sets her apart.""

But for all that praise" Engen still knows she has a ways to go before she meets her full potential at the position.

She occasionally looks to the sidelines for assistant coach Bill Palladino to give her directions" and she still depends on instinctual response to stop an advancing attacker.

""When someone's coming at me" honestly all I'm thinking is ‘Oh my God oh my God" what do I do?' But somehow my body takes over my brain and just knows what to do.""

Well" her body and the words of advice from her teammates.

She said keeper Ashlyn Harris midfielder Ali Hawkins and backs Eveland and Rachel Givan help her through the growing pains at the position but do it without destroying her confidence.

Though she's no longer playing offense she's still using her knowledge of the position to sharpen her defense. Engen's composure with the ball a skill she honed on the offensive side" is key when clearing and distributing the ball near the goal.

And she utilizes her knowledge of attack strategies to thwart opposing forwards.

""It's kind of funny to be on the opposite role of things" to see strikers coming at me and trying to decipher ‘Where are they going to go with this" and what are they thinking?'"" Engen said.

""It has helped me to kind of" not guess" but to make educated decisions as to what they're probably going to do.""

But even with all her success this season"" it can be easy for fans to miss defensive players in the shuffle. Often the only time the crowd notices a back is when she has made a mistake.

Dorrance said he doesn't think recognizing Engen's impact will be a problem for a crowd at Fetzer Field.

""Even though it's hard to read about it in a newspaper report or in a box score" anyone that comes to a game and watches her play even the inexperienced observer" will know that this is a special player.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.