New York Times best-selling author and evangelist Donald Miller appealed to faith and values in an effort to convince voters to vote democratic on Nov. 4.

Miller a Christian author said presidential candidate Barack Obama is the right choice for president.

In the packed Hamilton 100 lecture hall" Miller quickly addressed rumors that Obama was ""a Muslim" a terrorist or the Anti-Christ and said that accusations like that were part of campaigns aimed at appealing to evangelical voters' fears.

Evangelical voters are being targeted with fear and smear campaigns and as a Christian I have a responsibility to defend somebody when they are being smeared this way he said.

Miller used abortion policy as evidence that Republicans are assuming they have the Christian vote when they aren't actually promoting the Christian agenda.

Miller said that when Democrats support legislation like the 95-10 initiative — a plan to reduce the number of abortions in the U.S. by 95 percent in 10 years — they are trying to appeal to Christian voters with comprehensive solutions rather than using smokescreen tactics.

As soon as you give a political party your blind vote they will stop serving you like the Republican party has he said.

So it's on you to make yourself what the parties call ‘swing voters"' because policies change for swing voters.""

Miller said Republican presidential candidate John McCain's efforts to criminalize abortion lack substance.

""McCain has no legislation and he doesn't see it as an economic issue or a health care issue" whereas Obama actually supports health care for pregnant women and legislation like the 95-10 initiative he said.

Miller said his theological education was different than most because he was taught Christianity with more of a liberal spin.

We were taught that when the fall of man happened Adam and Eve immediately registered as Democrats and went on with their lives" he said.

Joshua DuBois, director of religious affairs for the Obama campaign, told the crowd that making an informed voting decision was the difference between voting for your faith and voting for your values and that voters should consider Obama's values apart from his Christian identity.

We're saying that values are important" and that is how democracy is supposed to work he said.

Miller attributed Obama's strong following at UNC to personal qualities that contribute to his campaigning style.

Obama is a positive candidate. He's hopeful. He supports what he believes in" and he's done running on fear tactics.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.