Matt Lynley Staff Writer

News

Two students chosen to represent UNC in Advocacy Corps

Two students from UNC-Chapel Hill were selected to represent the school in a lobbying group sponsored by a statewide student government organization. Cristobal Palmer and David Murray were selected by the Association of Student Governments to join its Advocacy Corps which trains students from schools in the UNC system to lobby the state legislature on students' behalf.

News

Charlotte gubernatorial race affected by Obama

In an election characterized by upsets residents of Mecklenburg County chose Democratic governor-elect Bev Perdue over popular eight-term Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory. Perdue defeated McCrory in the gubernatorial election by roughly 400 votes on his home turf and by a margin of about 3 percent statewide.

News

Libertarian candidates explain their goals

Libertarian candidates Mike Munger and Phil Rhodes shed light on the fundamentals of their party for UNC students Wednesday night. Gubernatorial candidate Munger and lieutenant gubernatorial candidate Rhodes who were hosted by the UNC College Libertarians charged students with bolstering support for the party in the current and future elections.

News

Universities court engineers

As the current pool of engineers begins to run dry N.C. community colleges and public universities are looking to nurture a new generation of prospective engineers. An untapped source has been found in N.C. community college students and many public universities are trying to provide as many opportunities as possible to attract students enrolled in community college engineering programs.

News

GOP mobilizes as election nears

Mere weeks before the election Republican campaigns have gone into overdrive to make sure loyal members vote on Nov. 4. About 35 GOP offices throughout the state — dubbed Victory Offices — serve as hubs for volunteers to help campaign on each remaining Saturday before November. Steve Hill director of the Durham Victory office" explained that the ""Super Saturday"" strategy intends to mobilize volunteers in the weeks before the general election to inform registered Republicans of the party's platform and to promote voter turnout.

News

McCain's health care scolded

Republican presidential candidate John McCain's health care plan was the target of harsh criticism from Elizabeth Edwards at a Wednesday round table discussion in Carrboro. Edwards a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress Action Fund and the wife of former presidential hopeful John Edwards hosted a panel of state legislators medical officials and patients at Piedmont Health Clinic to discuss McCain's health care plan.

More articles »