Roster melds talent experience

Basketball
North Carolina returns all of last year?s starters" plus a talented freshman foursome. Coach Roy Williams calls it ?the best of both worlds.?

Don't ask Roy Williams whether his team is going to win them all.

Seriously. Just don't do it.

First of all I think it's sort of stupid to talk about he said at Friday's media day press conference.

I did say sort of stupid so if you talk about it you don't have to say I said you were stupid. I said you were sort of stupid" he clarified.

But I don't think anybody can in today's game.""

There are too many good teams out there" and North Carolina this year has too large a target on its back.

Returning all five of last year's starters and bringing in a group of four high school all-stars will do that to a program.

And though they won't go undefeated" it's the depth that roster brings that Williams expects to help his team win games.

""If we get the game where the seventh man" eighth man ninth man is a huge factor I don't know of many teams that can be as talented and as experienced" he said.

North Carolina's depth was considered one of its biggest strengths last year, and this season it will increase with the addition of the new guys — or, as Williams calls them, those young rascals.""

And these Tar Heels won't have any baptism by fire but will have a chance to adapt to the college game at a comfortable pace.

When Deon Thompson and his class came into the program in 2006"" only five upperclassmen were on the roster.

""When we came in" our seniors were just sophomores Thompson said.

With us now being juniors (and seniors)" it just gives them time to grow into things and not have a heavy expectations or burden on them to play and do great things as soon as they get here.""

For a while this summer" it looked as though the newbies on the roster might have some pretty big shoes to fill" as several on the team eyed their chances in the NBA.

Then the unthinkable happened. The entire class of 2009 and most of the class of 2010 announced they would return for the season.

""You know" I was a little surprised everybody was coming back Tyler Hansbrough said. Just 'cause you know" it's kind of rare to see everybody coming back to such a good team.

""But I'm really excited. We're all really excited.""

Hansbrough wasn't the only one who was surprised by the news.

""It's unusual; there's no question about it"" Williams said. You're not going to have too many scenarios where everybody comes back.""

The coach thought of two earlier scenarios when he did. The first was in 1997 at Kansas" when all five starters returned but he could not remember as strong a freshman class.

The last time Williams had all five back was in his 2004 squad when he won the national championship in his second year at UNC.

Only one freshman factored extensively that year — but then again" it was Marvin Williams.

""The one who came in was pretty doggone good" Williams said.

You tell me any of those big young rascals out there is going to be as good as Marvin" I'll feel a heck of a lot better today.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.