Heels scratch and claw way to victory

Kentucky Ed Davis
Ed Davis and UNC beat the Wildcats defensively Tuesday" keeping Jodie Meeks UK?s leading scorer against VMI at 5-for-20 from the floor.

For about the first 12 minutes the North Carolina men's basketball team delivered a not-so-subtle message to the rest of the college basketball world — the defense played in Chapel Hill is pretty good too.

That was certainly the case Tuesday at the Smith Center. For a team that's built its reputation on a high-octane offense" the No. 1 Tar Heels pressured Kentucky up and down the court and forced 28 turnovers in a 77-58 win.

""That's what's we emphasize"" UNC guard Wayne Ellington said, referring to defense. We knew they had the capability to turn the ball over a lot"" and we wanted to get out and get in the passing lanes and force them to make tough plays.""

All the turnovers that UNC generated served as a spark plug for its play on the other side of the court. As soon as a Tar Heel got his hands on a rebound or picked a Wildcat's pocket" the ball immediately swung to a streaking Ty Lawson to set up a fast break and an easy bucket.

Throughout the first half that formula translated into made baskets underneath by Deon Thompson — whose 20 points led UNC — or open jumpers on the wings. But the game's signature moment came in a more razzle-dazzle fashion.

North Carolina led 23-6 as Lawson raced up the right sideline to jump-start another UNC fast break. This time the Tar Heel point guard locked eyes with a pointing Ellington and threw the ball near the hoop.

With that" Ellington leapt into the air and jammed the ball for a crowd-pleasing alley-oop.

""I didn't know he was going to get up that high" Lawson said. He didn't expect that I was going to throw it that's what he said. But I trust him; that's the only reason I threw it" and he converted it.""

But North Carolina was not able to sustain that kind of defensive intensity for 40 minutes. Defenders who looked dominant early slacked off and allowed Kentucky to get to the hoop and stay within striking distance in the second half.

""We've got to concentrate more and stay focused" especially in the second half when we're up Ellington said. We gotta continue to fight" and we gotta continue to execute.""

Despite the lapse" the Wildcats couldn't chip away from the deficit completely. After scoring 39 points against VMI Jodie Meeks missed more shots than he made against UNC finishing with 19 points on 5-for-20 shooting.

Forward Patrick Patterson rebounded from a six-point first half to end the game with 19 points but he never dominated the game to the degree Kentucky needed.

UNC won't get too much time to savor the win — the good vibes didn't even make it to the final buzzer.

With less than two minutes left in the game" freshman Tyler Zeller was struck by a UK defender as he tried to jam the ball from the paint and crashed to the court as coach Roy Williams rushed to his side. Williams said after the game that Zeller injured his left wrist.

""Right now we feel really good about the win" at the same time we're concerned about Tyler Zeller Williams said. He's on the way to the hospital right now taking the X-ray to see what it is" but it doesn't give us a good feeling.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.