The morning after Barack Obama was declared president four students spray-painted death threats on the walls of N.C. State University's Free Expression Tunnel.

The campus held a rally Thursday afternoon and a speak- out that night to address the hate messages which were covered with white paint shortly after they were discovered.

The messages which threatened to assassinate Obama and called him racial epithets" were met with calls for unity across the campus.

""We're one of the few campuses that allow this type of free speech and anytime you allow this there is something bound to be written that is hateful"" said Kelli Rogers, president pro tempore of the N.C. State University Senate.

The remarks brought in the U.S. Secret Service for an investigation. N.C. State police and the school decided not to press charges because the incident did not involve a direct threat to the president-elect.

Campus policy states that messages must contain fighting"" words to warrant an immediate response.

""It was more than offensive language" it was threatening which is a lot of the reason why it was painted over Rogers said.

Many students disapproved of the messages.

I believe that they have a right to express their opinion but I believe they should use a proper outlet to do that said N.C. State junior Dianna McTernan.

More than 300 people showed up for the rally Thursday afternoon.

The purpose for the rally was to speak out in opposition to hate speech and racism" said Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Dr. Thomas Stafford.

I think we accomplished that in an effective manner.""

Speakers emphasized the importance of the Campus Response to Hate Speech document" drawn up by student leaders earlier in the semester. It states that there is no tolerance for hate speech on the campus.

Adam Cloninger chair of the Student Government Diversity Commission" said they want to use this situation for discussion.

""The crowd was very supportive"" said Cloninger. There were lots of signatures on the document.""

The document also is in response to messages for a Ku Klux Klan meeting found earlier this semester.

Despite the negative incident" Rogers said the election yielded positive reactions from some students.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide