Kaitlin Fitzgerald Staff Writer

News

Christmas tree roots in danger

Trees are a quintessential element of Christmas but thousands of Fraser fir Christmas trees in North Carolina are threatened each year by a root-rotting pest. With North Carolina's Christmas tree business the second largest in the nation various researchers at N.C. State University have committed the years to finding a cure for Phytophthora.

indian
News

A steadfast few

The oldest population presence in state history is today struggling with some very contemporary challenges. November is American Indian Heritage Month in North Carolina and President Bush declared Friday Native American Heritage Day.

tunnel
News

NCSU reacts to hate speech

The morning after Barack Obama was declared president four students spray-painted death threats on the walls of N.C. State University's Free Expression Tunnel. The campus held a rally Thursday afternoon and a speak- out that night to address the hate messages which were covered with white paint shortly after they were discovered.

News

NCSU reacts to hate speech

ashleyjudd
News

Democrats party

UNC Young Democrats threw an early voting party Thursday with music face painting" ""cookies for change"" pumpkin painting, a doughnut-eating contest and celebrities. Students gathered at Morehead Planetarium for Baracktoberfest"" a celebration of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and the last days of early voting.

News

Straight party ballot confusing

People interviewed after voting at Morehead Planetarium on Tuesday said they had no trouble understanding how to vote a straight party ticket but that it could be confusing nonetheless. Some voters received ballot instructions while others had to request them.

News

Thorp stops in Wilmington

When Chancellor Holden Thorp headed to the coast Thursday he wasn't there for a beach day. He was there for his fifth stop on a week-long state tour. He visited UNC-Wilmington the N.C. Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores and the Institute of Marine Sciences a satellite campus of UNC-Chapel Hill.

More articles »