Slow ticket sales forced Carolina Performing Arts to decrease its prices for tickets to a world-renowned orchestra.

There are more than 1000 tickets still available for Kirov Orchestra's performances today and tomorrow at Memorial Hall.

Tickets for the general public started at $45 and went up to $100 for premium seats. Last week Memorial Hall lowered prices to the range of $35 to $55.

Student tickets were originally $35 but are now $10 the usual price for Carolina Performing Arts events.

According to Carolina Performing Arts ticket policy no ticket purchased at a higher price will be refunded.

The performances which cost Carolina Performing Arts $2500 were planned two years ago.

Emil Kang UNC's executive director for the arts made a personal visit to St. Petersburg Russia to book the orchestra. He even had to pull out a map to show the location of North Carolina in relation to Miami and Washington" D.C.

Kang said those not familiar with classical music might not realize the significance of the orchestra's performance.

""For anyone interested in the world" this orchestra is on the cutting edge of classical music" he said.

It is an incredible compliment to our community that this orchestra and this conductor would come here.""

The orchestra's performances at UNC are unique because it is only one of two locations where they will perform more than once.

Each night will have a different program"" both with excerpts from ""Cinderella"" and ""Romeo and Juliet" both Russian pieces.

When they are playing Russian music that is what they're closest to" said Tonu Kalam, UNC Symphony Orchestra director. Their heart and soul comes from that repertoire.

""They are particularly skilled at orchestration" at using the instruments in a colorful way" he said, also characterizing the orchestra's sound as brilliant, transparent and colorful.

Kalam said one of orchestra's most well-known features is its director, Valery Gergiev, who has a strong following and a resume to match.

Gergiev boasts conductor status at not only the Kirov Orchestra, but also the London Symphony Orchestra and The Metropolitan Opera.

Because of this, Kalam said there is always powerful excitement when people realize the world-renowned director is coming.

It has become a magical name because of his personality and his very strong musical profile"" Kalam said. He is a very individualistic interpreter.""

He added that music can be used as a common language.

""Music is one way of bridging cultures. It is a nonverbal art form that anyone can grasp"" he said.

ATTEND THE CONCERT
Time: 7:30 p.m. today and Wednesday
Location:
Memorial Hall
Info: carolinaperformingarts.org

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.