Jenn Kim" Staff Writer

News

Concert features folk Native American music

The sounds of North American music resonated in Gerrard Hall on Tuesday night. North American culture was the focus of the second day of ""The Sounds of Globalism"" educational festival this week. An audience of about 40 came to listen and learn about the folk music.

puppet
News

Homemade puppets

Monkeys mermaids and Tyler Hansbrough were featured in plays Tuesday on Polk Place. In an event hosted by the Carolina Union Activities Board students made puppet likenesses of animals mythical creatures and celebrities to perform plays with them in front of a video camera.

News

Philharmonic concert draws sold-out crowd

It was no wonder as to why the New York Philharmonic sold out Tuesday's concert at Memorial Hall. Carolina Performing Arts hosted an enthusiastic audience that was buzzing with anticipation before the event began. The orchestra's well-known name and related prestige even brought attendees unfamiliar with classical music.

News

Indie-pop artist Lenka to perform

Australian singer-songwriter Lenka will bring her own contagious brand of indie-pop to UNC tonight with her anticipated performance at the Great Hall. Advance ticket sales indicate a strong turnout for the performance. About 250 tickets — half of capacity — have been sold.

kirov
News

Enchanted evening

The world-renowned orchestra performance started with surprise — Emil Kang UNC director for the arts announced that maestro Valery Gergiev decided to rearrange the entire program for the evening. The Kirov Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre performed its first of two concerts Tuesday night in Memorial Hall presented by Carolina Performing Arts.

News

Ackland series hosts popular alumnus poet

To help enhance the Ackland Art Museum's fiftieth anniversary the museum will discuss the literature of a UNC alumnus who has become one of the most popular poets in history. Today and Thursday" the museum will host its ""Art and Literature in the Galleries"" event"" where fiction and poetry published in 1958 will be discussed. The event comes as part of the Ackland's ""Circa 1958: Breaking Ground in American Art"" series.

More articles »