The sounds of North American music resonated in Gerrard Hall on Tuesday night.

North American culture was the focus of the second day of ""The Sounds of Globalism"" educational festival this week.

An audience of about 40 came to listen and learn about the folk music.

The evening began with Brevard's The Mason Jar Drinkers" a folk group from Brevard College near Asheville.

The trio performed folk music from the 1920s and '30s utilizing a cello guitar" harmonica and pan flutes.

Group member Steven Acker said everyone should be interested in folk music.

""People should listen to folk music mainly because of the heritage. It's part of everyone's history no matter where you're from"" he said.

It's part of the history of this area — and people just don't realize it.""

The event covered folk music originating from Native Americans" slaves and the white working class. Senior Meredith McCoy started the festival in an effort to inform people of the importance of folk music in a growing globalized society.

McCoy said she thought that though North America is a continent familiar to many" people could still learn a lot about its music.

""People are most familiar with it" and so what we're trying to do tonight is show them a part of North American music they don't hear all the time she said.

The first evening of the festival focused on the Middle and Near East and drew about 60 people.

McCoy said she has been happy with the turnout thus far and was optimistic about the rest of the week.

I think as word of mouth travels over the course of the week more and more people will come" she said.

The second guest of the evening was a lecture from Glenn Hinson, associate professor of anthropology and folklore.

He spoke about how folk music is stereotyped in a certain way depending on its style and region of origin.

Hinson said folk music was any song that identified with a community and was not limited to a certain sound.

The night concluded with a performance by Native American singer Pura Fé, who lived in North Carolina for years.

Christy Oxendine, a sophomore of Native American descent, said she enjoyed Pura Fé's performance the most out of the evening.

A lot of her songs were about stories she's been through" about her life she said.

Songs about experiences are really indicative of Native American culture" that's something represented in our culture well.""