It was no wonder as to why the New York Philharmonic sold out Tuesday's concert at Memorial Hall.

Carolina Performing Arts hosted an enthusiastic audience that was buzzing with anticipation before the event began.

The orchestra's well-known name and related prestige even brought attendees unfamiliar with classical music.

Ashley Parr a UNC first-year" said she had little experience with classical music before the concert but would consider listening to it more frequently pending her experience.

""I feel like I could get into classical music more if I really like the concert"" she said.

Stephanie Bellendir, a UNC graduate student, has been a long-time fan of classical music, but this was her first time to an orchestral concert.

At first I was a little bit surprised" but not really" she said. Who wouldn't want to see the New York Philharmonic?""

The New York Philharmonic will also give ""master classes"" to music students.

John Danello" a UNC first-year plays in the UNC Symphony Orchestra. He will attend a master class Wednesday with Philip Smith" the orchestra's principal trumpet.

""Having time to spend with someone who is terrifically musical will be able to shed wonderful insight to help me in my playing" Danello said.

The steeper price of tickets did nothing to deter more than 700 students who piled into the hall to witness this experience.

Bellendir's eagerness to see the prestigious ensemble was not hindered by the $35 student ticket prices.

I think it was OK. I mean I think it was pretty fair she said.

Danello said he felt the price was a great bargain for students.

If I were to go to New York and hear the concert a comparable ticket would cost me upwards of $100" he said.

The general audience paid up to $120 for seats. Buyer's remorse was not a problem judging by the numerous encores performed after fervent applauding.

Graceful crescendos, dramatic pauses and changes in style all pieced together to create an enchanting concert.

The magnitude of talent in their final piece, Symphony No. 4" might have impressed Tchaikovsky himself.

They are playing familiar music that people can recognize and enjoy" Danello said.

Conductor Lorin Maazel also showcased his talents. His presence was commanding, with an ease and flow to his gestures that exudes years of experience.

The level of talent in the orchestra is amazing" perfection from all the players and from Lorin Maazel as well" Danello said.

ATTEND TODAY'S CONCERT
Time: 7:30 p.m. today
Location: Memorial Hall
Info: www.carolinaperformingarts.org