Instead of opening its doors for the whole Chapel Hill community tonight Spice Street Restaurant will cater to just UNC seniors.

The restaurant located at University Mall will be filled with food music drinks and seniors as the class holds its annual semiformal dance.

For the past two months" senior officials have been planning the senior semiformal. They have been holding up signs in the Pit and publicizing the event this week.

""It's a tradition. They've been doing it for years and years"" said Pinar Gurel, senior class vice president. It's like a high school prom or a Homecoming dance"" that kind of thing.""

Senior Class President James Shelly said he and Gurel followed the model from last year's semiformal"" which also was held at Spice Street.

""We talked to Veronica (Mora) and Ashley (Shores)" last year's officers and decided to go by ‘if it ain't broke don't fix it'" Shelly said.

He said the group made no changes from last year's plan.

Shelly said the estimated cost of the semiformal is a couple thousand dollars. There is money set aside for the night from semiformal ticket sales, senior student fees and fundraising events, including senior bar nights.

Gurel said the senior class hopes to break even on the event if tickets sell out. The event was close to selling out last year.

Spice Street has a capacity of 400 people, and about half that number of tickets have been sold so far. There were 4,912 seniors enrolled at the beginning of the semester.

Shelly said he expects the event to sell out, and the remaining tickets are on sale in the Pit today and online.

Tickets are not available at the door. If tickets are purchased online, seniors only need to present a copy of their confirmation e-mail.

I'm just excited about seeing the senior class have a good time" Shelly said. Now's that time when exams are looming" but they'll be able to enjoy themselves for a night.""

Spice Street General Manager Said Kalek said he is glad the class approached him about hosting the event.

""We have lots of people from UNC come here"" he said. I think a lot of people come for the drinks and the dancing.""

The event will last until 2 a.m." and attendees are expected to wear strictly semiformal attire. Men should not wear jeans" but ties are not required. Women can wear a pantsuit or dress of any length.

""I'm really excited about dressing up"" Gurel said. I really like these kinds of dress-up affairs and dancing.""

Seniors will have to pay for drinks" but hors d'oeuvres are free. A free shuttle to the event will run between Morehead Planetarium parking lot and Spice Street from 10:15 p.m. until 2:15 a.m.

Stephanie Kane a senior journalism major" said she plans to attend the event with roommates and thinks the shuttle is a great idea.

""It's nice not to worry about driving" and it's a fun wintertime event" she said.

ATTEND THE SEMIFORMAL
Time:
10:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. today
Location: Spice Street, University Mall
Info: alumni.unc.edu/secure/student/seniorball09_reg.asp