Jamie Richardson Staff Writer

freshair49
News

A breath of fresh air

William Vizuete isn't satisfied with working in a lab. He wants to see his research benefit the world. Vizuete a researcher and professor in the Gillings School of Global Public Health is working toward reducing the effects of air pollutants on human health.

News

New peer advising will aid study abroad office

There are some things that professional study abroad advisers can't tell you. The best place to get local cuisine good professors to take classes with social situations to avoid and the best place to get a beer are among them. But next semester students wishing to study abroad will be able to seek advice from peers who have volunteered to share their experiences.

News

Hillel to build Habitat house

UNC's Muslim Students Association and N.C. Hillel a campus Jewish organization are teaming up in an untraditional Habitat for Humanity interfaith project starting Sunday. Habitat for Humanity workdays are traditionally on Saturdays — the Jewish Sabbath. But Susan Bourner director of partner relations for Orange County's Habitat for Humanity said that building days for this particular project will be on Sundays.

News

$10 million granted for professorships

The C.D. Spangler Foundation named for the former UNC-system president hand-delivered a surprise $10 million advance payment to UNC-system President Erskine Bowles on Dec. 16. This early payment is part of a program to help UNC campuses add up to 80 distinguished professorships.

News

Ashby named December Commencement speaker

Unless they're science majors students might not think they have much in common with a biomaterial researcher. But two degrees from UNC and four years of teaching in the chemistry department connect professor Valerie Ashby to the graduates she will address in December. The University Commencement speaker selection committee chose the award-winning chemistry professor Wednesday to speak at the Dec. 14 Commencement ceremony.

More articles »