In the election last week Jasmin Jones got 1742 votes. Tuesday night Jones received 3139 more to clinch the student body president election — the highest student election voter turnout in UNC history.

Although it is unclear whether the Child Care Services Fee referendum passed the controversy it stirred up might have pushed more students to vote Tuesday.

Student Congress Speaker Tim Nichols issued an injunction against Student Body President J.J. Raynor on Monday accusing her of illegally advocating for the referendum's presence on the ballot.

Junior Christopher Jones also sent an e-mail to the student body arguing against the fee referendum — giving it even more publicity.

In last week's election8730 votes were cast. In Tuesday's runoff10240 students voted.

Ryan Morgan chairman of the Board of Elections said about 9400 students voted on the referendum and about 9"600 cast votes for student body president in the runoff.

He said he did not yet know how many students voted both on the referendum and for Jones.

""I think the BOE did a good job publicizing it" but I was still actually really surprised by the high turnout" Morgan said.

Nichols said he definitely thinks the referendum encouraged more students to vote, but said he isn't sure about its impact on Jones' win.

Yes" it definitely got more students to log on and vote but I have no idea if it helped Jasmin get more votes Nichols said.

Jones said she definitely thinks the fee referendum helped her gain more votes.

Our biggest fear was that people weren't going to revote Jones said. But the referendum gave an incentive to vote" and students gave their input.""

She also attributed the high voter turnout to her endorsements from the other student body president candidates who were not in the runoff.

She said she thinks a lot of students reconsidered their vote after the original election.

""Half the undergraduates voted"" Morgan said. That's a pretty big deal.""