Four months ago senior Aisha Saad stood atop the Union Carbide plant in Bhopal India and witnessed the aftermath of the 1984 chemical leak considered one of the world's worst environmental disasters.

That moment was the capstone on a long journey for Saad which has taken her across the globe and opened her eyes to the pursuit of environmental justice.

Next year that journey will take Saad to Oxford England.

Saad an environmental health sciences and Spanish double major from Cary" is one of 32 Americans awarded Rhodes Scholarships this year.

""I'm excited by the opportunity to diversify my educational path"" Saad said. The possibility for adventure that this presents is unbeatable.""

The Rhodes Scholarship" which provides all expenses for two years of study at the University of Oxford and the option for a third is known as one of the world's most prestigious scholarships.

Saad said she will use the scholarship to pursue a master's degree in nature society and environmental management at Oxford.

She said she ultimately wants to pursue environmental law a passion that grew out of her interest in social justice she has pursued at UNC.

On campus Saad serves as the outreach coordinator for the Muslim Students Association organizing events with other campus groups. Saad is a former opinion editor for The Daily Tar Heel.

She is also a Morehead-Cain scholar and has also worked with the Interfaith Alliance" a campus organization that works between religious groups on common projects.

""We're kind of building bridges across groups"" Saad said. The common denominator is social justice.""

Saad said her Islamic faith has been a big part of shaping her life and academic interests.

""It has been an integral part of my life"" Saad said. It is the ethical core of my life. The subtext of my motivations comes from vision for social justice and social dignity.""

Those who have worked closely with Saad said her ability to work across diverse groups and unite campus groups has been a big strength.

""People often talk about diversity and bringing different groups together" and Aisha has really lived that in a quiet but strong way" said Charles Lovelace, executive director of the Morehead-Cain Foundation.

Saad said this ability to represent diverse viewpoints and bring new ideas to the discussion was a strength that came across in her interviews.

I think I brought forth a really diverse perspective" Saad said. I have an unconventional background" and I think I was able to relate that in the interview process.""

As a Morehead-Cain scholar" she has travelled and done research in Egypt India and South America through the scholarship.

Born in Egypt Saad was almost ineligible for the scholarship" only learning that she was granted American citizenship a week before the application deadline.

Saad is the 42nd UNC student to receive the scholarship and the seventh in as many years.

""I think it speaks to the quality of the undergraduate education here"" Lovelace said. It's a tribute to the faculty that have supported her.""

For Saad" faculty support came from law professor Donald Hornstein who taught Saad last year and is her honors thesis adviser. Her thesis focuses on environmental issues in the Nile River delta.

He said her experience this past summer traveling to India and Egypt" and then back to Chapel Hill showcased Saad's ability to transcend borders to confront major issues.

""She's a natural fit"" he said. She's really a citizen of the world.""