Kevin Kiley Assistant University Editor

wall
News

Documentary on free speech at UNC will play tonight

Hanes Art Center will host a lesson in UNC's history of free speech tonight" which organizers hope can help students draw parallels to contemporary campus issues. Communication studies professor Gorham ""Hap"" Kindem is presenting a documentary he made in 2005. The film"" titled ""Beyond the Wall"" chronicles the fight by UNC students to repeal the Speaker Ban Law that passed the N.C. General Assembly in the '60s.

Student body president candidates
News

Di-Phi picks Jones

Junior Jasmin Jones secured the first endorsement of the Student Body President race Thursday night after a forum hosted by the Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies. The event kicked off the true start of campaign season which will feature a rigorous schedule of debates and forums to help students get to know the candidates before the Feb. 10 election. Jones beat out fellow candidates Michael Betts Ron Bilbao Thomas Edwards and Ashley Klein to secure the group's nomination.

News

Court: Reassess Klein's _¶ ne

Both sides claimed victory after the Student Supreme Court issued its ruling Thursday in a lawsuit pitting student body president candidate Ashley Klein against the Board of Elections. The board got a reaffirmation of its power to interpret the Student Code and an increase in its jurisdiction off campus.

News

Facebook rules irk campaigns

The Board of Elections has decided that candidate Facebook groups are permissible provided that they are secret.  This decision which seemingly contradicts the Student Code has frustrated several campaigns and raised questions of how the board is handling the election.  In December" at least eight candidates were discovered to have created ""secret"" Facebook groups" meaning they cannot be viewed unless a person is invited by one of the group's administrators.

News

At least 8 may run for SBP

February's elections season could see at least eight students vying to be student body president. Juniors Ron Bilbao Thomas Edwards Jasmin Jones Ashley Klein Julia La Roche and Matt Wohlford and sophomores Michael Betts and Andrew Ashley expressed interest in running for the position at an optional candidates meeting held Tuesday by the Board of Elections.

News

UNC senior lands Rhodes

Four months ago senior Aisha Saad stood atop the Union Carbide plant in Bhopal India and witnessed the aftermath of the 1984 chemical leak considered one of the world's worst environmental disasters. That moment was the capstone on a long journey for Saad which has taken her across the globe and opened her eyes to the pursuit of environmental justice.

More articles »