Zeller's replacement not set

Zeller hurt
Tyler Zeller grabs his wrist after taking a hard foul from Kentucky defender Ramon Harris. Zeller didn?t travel to California with the team Wednesday.

There was nothing else for coach Roy Williams to call the loss of Tyler Zeller in Tuesday's win against Kentucky.

""It's another big blow for our team"" he expressed in a statement Wednesday. It's more adversity that we have to overcome together.""

With Tyler Hansbrough's status uncertain" Marcus Ginyard out until December and Mike Copeland still raw" Zeller's injury adds to a long list of UNC ailments and another name to what Danny Green calls the UNC bench's ""suit crew.""

Williams has not announced who will start for Zeller against Santa Barbara" said Steve Kirschner spokesman for UNC Department of Athletics on Thursday.

Hansbrough began practicing lightly this week" and Williams said after the Kentucky game that the senior ""probably could have already played."" But Williams repeatedly has said he will not play last year's National Player of the Year until he is 100 percent.

The other likely replacement for Zeller's starting spot is fellow freshman Ed Davis" who has excelled off the bench in his first two games.

Zeller has 20 points to Davis' 19 while Davis has excelled on the boards grabbing 24 to Zeller's three. Both have averaged 22.5 minutes in the first two games.

Zeller didn't travel to Santa Barbara with the team Wednesday but the Tar Heels next head to Hawaii for the Maui Invitational" which starts Monday.

Kirschner said Zeller will be making the trip to Maui ""as long as he feels up to it.""

Zeller was lost" most likely for the season after fracturing two bones in his left wrist Tuesday. He underwent surgery successfully Wednesday.

Because he has only played in two games Zeller still has the option to take a medical redshirt and keep all four years of eligibility.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.