The morning I spoke with Jason Brewer lead singer and songwriter of Charleston S.C.'s The Explorers Club was frigid with the January temperature hovering just above 40 degrees.

The half-hour before the scheduled time of the interview was taken up by a quick run-through of the group's excellent debut album Freedom Wind" an exercise that temporarily suspended the reality of winter.

The warming power of his band's music is not lost on Brewer.

""That's the bonus of hearing The Explorers Club in winter … the temporary warmth"" Brewer said.

That warmth comes from the band's sunny brand of pop. Combining the universal themes of girls, sun and fun with complex harmonies, the group immediately calls to mind heavyweights like The Beach Boys or The Zombies.

Brewer doesn't get tired of the comparisons, preferring to think of them as high praise.

It's nice to be mentioned along with people that I really respect"" he said. It could be worse; at least we're being compared to a band that is great.""

As winter drags along" the band is set to hit the road melting the ice under the wheels of its van with sunny sounds of summer. Brewer admits though" that recreating the pristine qualities of the band's harmonies in a live setting can be an ""adventure.""

""Sound engineers and our band are an interesting combination" Brewer said. They're used to turning up the guitars and kick drums" and here we are with guys trading vocals mid-song. We try very hard to work with them and not make it too complicated on our end.""

Still" Brewer is proud of his band's insistence on harmony and melody" saying he wished there were more bands out there with a similar sound.

""We're not trying to be an alt- rock band" we just want to be a pop singing group" he said.

I'm hoping there will be a change in more of that coming around.""

Brewer says The Explorers Club is happy to lead that charge" adding that upon the completion of this short run of tour dates the group will get into the studio to prepare a follow-up to Freedom Wind.

Even though the group is already looking forward to album number two Brewer said they are still excited to bring the songs of Freedom Wind to audiences that may not have heard them yet.

And when those people do come" Brewer said he has a specific vision of their response to the band's music.

""We just want to warm everyone up and provide a little bit of an escape"" he said. It's really just all about warmth and positivity.""

ATTEND THE SHOW
Time: 10 p.m. Friday
Location: Local 506"" 506 W. Franklin St.
Info: www.local506.com

Contact the Diversions Editor at dive@unc.edu.