Jamie Williams Diversions Editor

News

Music review for April 23

When the sun's just right during late summer about dusk closing your eyes provides a sepia-toned reality of ringed light. At this time even closing your eyes can't keep the sun out. Ascenseur Ouvert! the latest from Chapel Hill veterans Kingsbury Manx has that effect.

News

Torche rocks without compromise

The rush to categorize music into neat little genres has created some silly classifications. But doom-pop? Steve Brooks lead singer of Atlanta's Torche a band that has received this distinction in plenty of reviews of its latest album Meanderthal is as confused as anyone about this seemingly contradictory descriptor.

phos
News

Phosphorescent looks back

Sunday morning holds a special place in the mythology of country music. The classic juxtaposition of coming down from the night before while looking skyward for guidance is as entwined into the DNA of the genre as Telecasters and pearl buttons. 

News

Watson Twins bring beauty

For Leigh Watson most everything is beautiful. It's a word she tosses around quite naturally in conversation using it to describe the home she and her sister share in Los Angeles to the unique experience of live music to the Laurel Canyon country sound that has influenced The Watson Twins' music since they moved west from Kentucky nine years ago.

News

Explorers Club _¶ ghts winter with harmony

The morning I spoke with Jason Brewer lead singer and songwriter of Charleston S.C.'s The Explorers Club was frigid with the January temperature hovering just above 40 degrees. The half-hour before the scheduled time of the interview was taken up by a quick run-through of the group's excellent debut album Freedom Wind an exercise that temporarily suspended the reality of winter.

More articles »