Hansbrough is new all-time scorer

hansbrough
Senior forward Tyler Hansbrough hugs Phil Ford after surpassing Ford as UNC?s all-time leading scorer in the Dec. 18 game against Evansville.

DEC. 18 — It took 12 minutes and 18 seconds against Evansville for Tyler Hansbrough to become the leading scorer in North Carolina history.

And after coming out sluggish against a scrappy Evansville team" UNC turned it on and eventually cruised to a rather routine 91-73 victory that was merely the backdrop for Hansbrough's historic accomplishment.

""The night and what Tyler accomplished somewhat overshadowed the game" and I think early on we had some jitters and the whole bit coach Roy Williams said. But it was a great night" and I felt very fortunate to be sitting over there on the bench.""

The first part of the game was little more than a scoreboard watch"" as all eyes centered on Hansbrough.

""One thing for me is" I'm usually not nervous before games" Hansbrough said. I was a little nervous before tonight just because I felt like there was a lot of pressure.""

Entering the game eight points behind Phil Ford for the all-time lead (2"290 set in 1978)" the senior forward scored eight quick points on the strength of his jump shot before sitting on the bench for a spell.

""It's the first time I can ever remember counting points in my head"" Williams said.

But the tension in the Smith Center finally broke when Hansbrough employed his trademark close range shot with contact to give him 2,092 points and edge him past Ford in the record books as UNC inched to a 24-18 lead.

I was happy it's over with. I didn't really think about it much before" Hansbrough said. I really hadn't been keeping up with it until everybody started talking about it" and I was just glad to get it over with and we can move on.""

The UNC student riser section marked the occasion by turning around their ""Phil Ford 2""090"" signs to reveal ""Tyler Hansbrough 2"091+" and the game stopped as the senior received congratulations from Williams, Ford and teammates.

I think everybody who knows me knows how much I love this program" and to be a small part of this historic moment for Tyler is a dream come true for me" Ford said after the game.

The night belonged to Hansbrough, and a video tribute to his accomplishment immediately followed the game with congratulations from various former and current UNC players. Ford then addressed the crowd before Hansbrough came out and was visibly emotional while thanking family, friends, teammates and coaches.

I've never seen him tear up or choke up like that" and I think that just shows that he really does care teammate Bobby Frasor said. Tyler really does care about all this stuff" and he knows what he's accomplished is pretty special.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.