Nicks declares for NFL Draft

11 A.M." MONDAY" JAN. 5 -- Defensive coordinators throughout the ACC just breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Hakeem Nicks isn't their problem anymore.

After spending three seasons terrorizing collegiate defensive backs and setting nearly every receiving record at North Carolina"" the junior wideout announced Monday that he'll forgo his senior season at UNC for the greener pastures of the NFL.

""It was something that I just prayed about" Nicks said of his decision during a teleconference.After the bowl game just based off that" I felt like I was ready for a new challenge in my life. I felt like it was another challenge for me that I was ready to step up to.""

With the decision Nicks becomes the first underclassmen to declare for the NFL Draft since junior defensive end Julius Peppers was selected No. 2 overall by the Carolina Panthers in the 2002 draft. But while Nicks won't merit quite as high a selection as Peppers"" he could be a first-day selection.

Nicks said he was told before UNC's bowl game against West Virginia that he looked like an early-second round selection. A slot safely ahead of the lower round cut-off point that would have led Nicks to stay in Chapel Hill for a final season.

""I would say there probably was a cut-off point"" Nicks said. I would think probably third or fourth round.""

Helping Nicks throughout the process was coach Butch Davis. Davis said he reached out to NFL general managers and assistant coaches and submitted paperwork to the NFL advisory committee to gauge the league's interest in Nicks.

Davis said that he and Nicks spent about 90 minutes after the Meineke Car Care Bowl discussing Nicks' future.

""The role that I tried to play was to help educate Hakeem on the many different aspects of this decision"" Davis said.

Davis said that among other things" those aspects included money" agents and education -- Nicks still plans to graduate.

Now Nicks' next step will be to impress scouts as he preps for the draft. Nicks said he'd like to improve his speed and acceleration along with his times in the 40-yard dash and shuttle run.

North Carolina" on the other hand must look to rebuild its depleted receiver corps -- one that already lost seniors Brandon Tate" Brooks Foster and Cooter Arnold.

""This was going to be an extraordinarily important spring for receivers"" Davis said.

""Brandon Tate" Brooks Foster and Cooter Arnold" they played a huge role in our offensive success this season. ... That position was a very important position and a target during our recruiting efforts.""

As challenging as it will be to replace Nicks and his 181 career catches"2580 career receiving yards and 21 career touchdowns" Davis said having players jump to the NFL is a positive step for the UNC program.

""It's something that we hope happens to a lot of kids in the future"" he said. A true indication of your program is when you have significant number of guys that make it on NFL rosters.""

Nicks leaves UNC with 14 school records. The only three-year player in ACC history with more career receiving yards than Nicks is former Georgia Tech All-America and 2007 NFL first-round pick Calvin Johnson.