Tar Heels hope to _¶ nd ACC win at UVa.

cofc game
UNC senior Tyler Hansbrough reaches up for a block against the College of Charleston?s Matt Sundberg in the Dec. 7 match-up. In a weaker game down low for the Cavaliers" Hansbrough could see more success.

No one expected North Carolina to lose two consecutive ACC games to open conference play. But those losses did more than show the country that the supposed ""perfect"" team has a few notable flaws.

It made today's 9 p.m. game at Virginia a heck of a lot more interesting.

A month ago" when the Tar Heels were at the height of their dominance" their game against the Cavaliers might have been considered a foregone conclusion. Just another ho-hum blowout of an overmatched opponent.

But now the game is ripe with intrigue as UNC fights to get out of the ACC cellar and avoid an embarrassing 0-3 conference record — a mark even more unimaginable than 0-2 was before Sunday.

""I'm stunned" point guard Ty Lawson said after UNC's loss at Wake Forest. I'm a competitor. I love to win" and it's just hurting right now.

""We've got to change something.""

Back to basics

Against UVa." don't be surprised to see more deliberate play from the Tar Heels on the offensive end.

After Sunday's game" Lawson spoke at length about how UNC does a poor job moving in the half court. The next day coach Roy Williams expressed similar sentiments.

""I'm not going to say that we're a selfish bunch — we're maybe too confident at times and think that I can just beat my man" Williams said during his weekly teleconference.

In this league you're not going to do that and we've got to accept that and we've got to move the ball better" there's no question about that. We've got to work together as a team better.""

In two ACC contests" UNC has only 24 assists compared to 33 turnovers. Not good numbers for any squad let alone a Tar Heel team that's built a reputation based on its ability to score.

Those numbers could begin to right themselves in Charlottesville Va. The Cavaliers have the ACC's worst scoring defense — though UNC is ranked No. 11 — and the worst field goal percentage defense.

No cause for concern

What's wrong with the Tar Heels has been the hot question among college basketball fans and pundits ever since they lost to Wake Forest.

Williams did acknowledge that UNC needs to play better — notably" to shoot a better percentage and lock down opponents on the defensive end.

But Williams didn't give any indication that he was in panic mode.

""Three weeks ago" when everyone was saying undefeated and 50 points better than everyone else I thought it was a bunch of hogwash he said. Now we're sitting here 0-2. I really don't think we're going to go 0-16 in the league" either.""

One thing is for sure"" though — UVa. knows defeating the Tar Heels will be a difficult task.

""Major challenge in North Carolina" UVa. coach Dave Leitao said Monday in a teleconference. They're 0-2 in the league — I'm sure things won't be too pleasant as they prepare for us in terms of what they've got to be able to do. That's a major" major challenge for us.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.