M. Lacrosse: North Carolina takes down rookie UDM squad

mlax34
The North Carolina men?s lacrosse team ? almost every member of it ? routed a first year varsity Detroit-Mercy team" 19-4 on Tuesday.

The Detroit Mercy and North Carolina lacrosse teams shared a first as they faced off Tuesday afternoon — both head coaches are enjoying their first years at the helm of their respective programs.

Only the Titans were showcasing another first — their first ever varsity program. So the game's outcome never seemed in question.

Not for a second.

The No. 3 Tar Heels routed Detroit Mercy en route to a 19-4 win" extending their undefeated record to 7-0.

""I thought the guys played hard"" coach Joe Breschi said. We weren't necessarily sharp when we started. But we did a good job coming back after a slow start.""

The Titans arrived in Chapel Hill with a 0-5 record. Leading the team is Matt Holtz"" who used to visit former Ohio State coach Breschi's practices as that program was taking off.

""I think it's great for the game of lacrosse" Breschi said. That's why we played them" to help boost their program.""

Breschi remembered playing one of his first big-tier programs during his second season at Ohio State — a 21-0 loss to Virginia.

""It wasn't fun"" he said. But it showed our guys what we needed to do to get to the next level.""

For Detroit Mercy" similarly Tuesday's match-up was an opportunity to face a big name program with a national ranking.

For the Tar Heels it was a chance for lesser-known players to find their way onto the score sheet.

And among the 12 UNC scorers" plenty of them did.

""It's really a great opportunity for those second-string guys to get an opportunity to play" Breschi said. They work so hard in practice" so to give them a chance to play in the game is special.""

Tommy D'Alessandro and Chris Layne netted their first career goals"" and Logan Corey added his first two career assists.

Joe Howard led all scorers with three goals and one assist — his first career hat trick.

Sophomore goalkeeper Jamie Locke also made his first career appearance in the cage.

""It was amazing" Locke said. I came out and tried my best" and hopefully I did well.""

But Locke had little time to get comfortable.

His first save came only minutes after he replaced starting goalie Grant Zimmerman in the third quarter.

As he entered the cage"" he reminded himself of just one aim.

""Do not mess up"" he said. Just do not mess up.""

Locke finished the game with six saves — a couple of ""really big key saves" he added.

I thought they did a great job; when you don't get a lot of playing time you can't teach experience Breschi said. They're coming in" working hard and scrapping for everything.""

The Titans came in expecting one of the nation's top teams" and they certainly got it.

After struggles with turnovers in the first quarter UNC regained control and momentum to finish the half on an 8-1 run.

The Tar Heels continued to dominate offensively" finishing the game outshooting the Titans 71-24.

""At first we struggled a little bit offensively"" Locke said. But in the second half we came out of the locker room and did what we do best — we scored a lot.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.