M. Lacrosse: The extra edge

lax330
North Carolina freshman Billy Bitter finished with two goals and two assists against Johns Hopkins on Saturday ? including a crucial assist to Sean Delaney in overtime that provided the golden goal victory.

Given the ball with 15 seconds left in regulation in a tied ballgame sophomore attackman Billy Bitter couldn't make a play to give the North Carolina men's lacrosse team a win against bitter rival Johns Hopkins.

When he was offered a second chance in overtime he didn't hesitate and his assist helped send North Carolina to a 10-9 overtime win.

Three minutes into extra time Bitter spun around his defender and passed the ball over the net to an open Sean Delaney" who cranked a shot low and past the keeper.

""I saw Delaney move off the ball" and I saw his defenseman turn his head Bitter said. Once I saw that I threw it over the top" and he was fortunate to catch it and get a good shot off and score.""

Entering the game on a two-game losing streak" the No. 12 Tar Heels were able to send their seniors off in style in their last game at Fetzer Field — and give coach Joe Breschi his 100th career win — in front of the largest crowd for a lacrosse game in the past seven years.

During the entire game Bitter was able to beat his man in isolation situations against No. 6 Hopkins' set defense.

His penetration set up the other Tar Heels for open shots on cage" as evidenced by his tying for the highest point total on the game with fellow attackman Gavin Petracca.

""Billy is just an incredible player" Delaney said. Just seeing the stuff he does in practice is amazing" so we know basically every week he is going to have a good matchup and going to be able beat his guy.

""That just opens up so many things"" like it did in that overtime. Guys are forced to slide to him if not he's going to take it to the goal.""

The game featured varied scoring from both sides" as 15 scorers combined for the 19 goals including nine different scorers for Johns Hopkins (3-4).

Previously little-used Johns Hopkins forward Josh Peck who had only five shots all season before Saturday looked to be the hero.

He scored on a diving shot with a little more than a minute to go in the fourth quarter to tie up a game that the Tar Heels once led by as many as four.

The Tar Heels (8-3) were able to keep control of the game for the most part due to their offensive play as they outshot the Blue Jays 45-28.

But with players on both teams slipping all over the field in the rain" it seemed that the team that kept its balance most effectively would win — both gave up goals because its defenders slipped on the slick grass.

""(I'm) pretty proud of our effort overall" Breschi said. We stuck to the game plan. We had some lapses. But in the end Bitter to Delaney as has happened in practice a ton" and they connected in overtime.""

In the end"" the Tar Heels were able to win and go into their looming matchup against No. 1 UVa. in New Jersey with a little bit of extra confidence.

""We knew that if we got this win" it could be a huge rebound on our season and a huge confidence booster going into the end of the season" said senior midfielder Ben Hunt, who graduates with a 3-1 record against Hopkins.

I just knew this was a huge win for us today"" and we stepped up when we needed to and we played the full 65 minutes.

""That's what coach is talking about" playing the whole 60 minutes" (and to win) in overtime — I'm speechless.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.