Daniel Keller has had to describe his role on the North Carolina track and field team to plenty of people during the past four years.

His events — heptathlon and decathlon — are a mouthful. But he now has something he can tell people that needs no explanation.

""People may not know about all the events in track and field and may not be familiar with the decathlon" but they understand what it means to be an All-American" Keller said.

The High Point native earned his first All-America honor in March at the NCAA Indoor Championships, placing seventh in the nation in the heptathlon. This weekend, Keller is gunning for an ACC outdoor title in the decathlon to complement the hardware he earned last month.

In outdoor competition, the decathlon is split between two days. Day one events began Thursday with the 100- and 400-meter dash, long jump, shot put and high jump. Day two has the 110-meter hurdles, discus, javelin, 1500-meter run and pole vault — Keller's specialty.

During the indoor season, Keller participates in the heptathlon, which leaves out the javelin, discus, and the 400-meter dash.

It was pole vault that brought Keller to UNC by way of Southwest Guilford High School. His mark of 15 feet, 9 inches made in 2005 still stands as the men's 3A state record.

In high school" pole vault was my best event but I competed in several other events" Keller said. I wanted to keep doing that.""

UNC track and field coach Dennis Craddock saw Keller's talent but was wary of allowing his prized pole vaulter to explore other events.

""I tried to talk him out of it" Craddock admitted. I told him ‘Daniel you're coming in as a really good pole vaulter and one of the best in country. … I think you could be a decathlete" but you've already established you're a pole vaulter.'""

But eventually Craddock gave his blessing. With his pole vaulting abilities a given"" Keller began improving his throws and jumps daily.

""Every day we're working three or four different events that day for overall fitness training"" Keller said. To be able to do all 10 events across two days is really difficult.""

His junior year" he finished third in the heptathlon at the ACC Indoor Championships" but the transition to outdoors was slowed when he began feeling pain in his left shin.

""I talked to coach and the trainers and decided to take a redshirt and use it as a time to recover and get stronger"" Keller said. I wanted to have an open season where I could focus on training.""

Craddock said the redshirt couldn't have come at a better time"" both physically and emotionally.

""I thought he needed more maturity and to realize he has to work hard in all 10 events" Craddock said. With him the team can see by hard work and dedicating yourself" that it pays dividends.""

Keller spent the season improving his high jump" pole vault and quickness — which he credits as the main factors in getting to the NCAA National Indoor Championship" where he broke the school record for points in the heptathlon.

""It was a different feeling to be around the greatest collegiate athletes in the nation"" he said. To be competing for one of the top 10 spots in the nation — it was incredible.""

Today" Keller said he hopes his success and training translates to outdoors in his first decathlon in two years as UNC looks to capture its 46th ACC title under Craddock.

And though the competition in the decathlon within the conference is fierce" Keller stood in second place after Thursday— but his sole focus is on himself.

""My goal is to compete with myself and get an automatic qualifying mark for nationals"" he said. It should definitely be a possibility.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.