Fewer people died last year in traffic accidents both in North Carolina and across the country according to the N.C. Department of Transportation.

The number of traffic-related deaths in North Carolina decreased to its lowest yearly total in more than a decade in 2008 the N.C. Department of Transportation announced Tuesday.

Traffic-related deaths which result from vehicle crashes that don't involve pedestrians fell more than 17 percent last year.

This decrease in deaths coincided with a similar trend nationwide as traffic-related deaths fell by 10 percent.

But the number of traffic-related deaths in Orange County increased to 19 in 2008" up from 11 the previous year.

Wake and Durham counties also experienced increases in the number of traffic-related deaths.

""It's not uncommon to have discrepancies in death and crash rates between rural and urban areas"" said Beth Horner, spokeswoman for the Governor's Highway Safety Program.

Because drivers in rural areas often have longer trips and travel at faster speeds on state highways, crashes are more likely to cause fatalities, she said.

Johnston County and Chatham County, both of which are more rural, experienced increases in traffic-related fatalities.

Darrell Jernigan, director of the Governor's Highway Safety program, said traffic-related deaths are closely associated with two factors: seat belt usage and drinking while driving rates.

An increase in seat belt usage and fewer drunk-driving accidents contributed to the lower death rates statewide.

The combination of getting our seat belt messages and our impaired driving messages across is a large reason for the decrease"" Jernigan said. You just can't ignore those correlations.""

North Carolina's seat belt usage rate increased to about 90 percent in 2008" its highest level ever. The number of alcohol-related traffic deaths decreased by about 20 percent in the state from 2007 to 2008 according to the Department of Transportation.

The number of miles driven by North Carolinians also decreased falling by 3 percent in 2008 most likely because of increased gas prices last year Jernigan said.

Traffic-related deaths statewide are down 12 percent this year compared to this time in 2008 according to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.