Seth Cline Staff Writer

News

Traffic deaths fall thanks to seat belts and sobriety

Fewer people died last year in traffic accidents both in North Carolina and across the country according to the N.C. Department of Transportation. The number of traffic-related deaths in North Carolina decreased to its lowest yearly total in more than a decade in 2008 the N.C. Department of Transportation announced Tuesday.

News

Bill unlikely to speed system building repairs

Despite a bill in the N.C. General Assembly that would give the UNC system more money for repairs schools are unlikely to actually be able to make needed renovations. The bill introduced last week by Sen. David Hoyle D-Gaston would change the existing formula by increasing funding for the upkeep of the UNC system's buildings which make up a large part of the total number of state-owned buildings.

News

Secondhand smoke study affirms increased control

A new study conducted in North Carolina estimated that the state spends about $288.8 million a year to treat health ailments caused by secondhand smoke. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina one of the state's largest health insurance companies administered the study with the help of the Department of Health and Human Services.

News

Need for aid rises with tuition hikes

Private colleges across the country are finding that they must increase their tuition to overcome financial shortfalls this year. Duke University will increase its undergraduate tuition by 3.9 percent next year after its Board of Trustees approved university-wide tuition increases Saturday. The increases will bring Duke's overall cost for undergraduates to around $50700 a year.

News

Appalachian lab at research campus to study performance and health

Appalachian State University opened up its lab facilities last week at the N.C. Research Campus becoming the latest state university to join the campus. Appalachian's facility will conduct research on human nutrition and performance. The Kannapolis research campus brings together universities from across the state to collaborate on human health and nutrition research.

More articles »