The ongoing investigation of former Gov. Mike Easley could have a lasting impact on politics in North Carolina.

Recent scandals in the Democratic Party  — including­ former Speaker of the House Jim Black being charged with public corruption in 2007 and the Easley investigation — might have tarnished the image of Democrats in the state.

""Our Democratic Party has been in power for so long that we tend to take it for granted"" said Sen. Jim Jacumin, R-Burke.

When one party rules for so long"" we do things we wouldn't normally do.""

The state has elected a Democrat to the office of governor for the past five terms after Gov. Bev Perdue narrowly beat Charlotte mayor and Republican candidate Pat McCrory in November.

Easley" who left office in January after serving two terms came under investigation after The News  & Observer published a two-part series which revealed how he might have used his executive role for his personal benefit.

Republican U.S. Attorney George Holding will lead Easley's investigation along with the investigation of Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan D-N.C. announced last week.

McQueen Campbell a close friend of the Easleys has also resigned as chairman of the N.C. State University Board of Trustees. Former Lt. Gov. Bob Jordan has been appointed by Gov. Perdue to take his place.

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird D-Orange said the Easley investigation will not specifically affect the Democrats.

Such investigations change the public's regard for the people in office as a whole rather than their regard for a particular political party" Kinnaird said. 

But Jacumin said a change of party is necessary in order to curb such corruption in the state.

""Competition makes democracy work the way it was intended to work"" he said.

He said the corruption in the state continues as members of a long-ruling party do favors for their friends.

Gov. Bev. Perdue, who served as lieutenant governor under Easley, has not been giving the investigation enough attention, Jacumin said.

It's difficult because he is a friend of hers" he said. But if you have a responsibility" then you should carry out that responsibility.""

Kinnaird said it is still too early for Perdue to play a significant role.

""The investigation has just started and we just have to let it run its course"" she said.

We certainly can't arrive at conclusions.""

Contact the State and National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.