Tarini Parti Senior Writer

News

After three weeks of delays still no N.C. budget

N.C. legislators have failed to approve a state budget three weeks into the fiscal year making preparations for the upcoming semester difficult for public education.Classes at public schools and universities will begin in a month and many state officials are concerned that a budget will not be approved in time.

News

Liberty University suspends Young Democrats

The controversial suspension of the Young Democrats chapter at Liberty University suggests that the concept of liberty at the university might just be limited to its name. Liberty University a private evangelical university in Lynchburg Va. revoked its recognition of the democratic organization just a few months after the club's founding while allowing the College Republicans to continue being an official part of the university.

News

Democrats' future uncertain

The ongoing investigation of former Gov. Mike Easley could have a lasting impact on politics in North Carolina. Recent scandals in the Democratic Party  — including­ former Speaker of the House Jim Black being charged with public corruption in 2007 and the Easley investigation — might have tarnished the image of Democrats in the state.

News

N.C. Senate bill bans smoking in local bars

N.C. Senators passed a bill that bans smoking in enclosed restaurants and bars on Monday — a historic step for the nation's largest tobacco growing state. The Democrats in the Senate were forced to narrow down a broader version of the bill approved by the House last month in order to make a compromise with Republicans.

More articles »