The controversial suspension of the Young Democrats chapter at Liberty University suggests that the concept of liberty at the university might just be limited to its name.

Liberty University a private evangelical university in Lynchburg Va. revoked its recognition of the democratic organization just a few months after the club's founding while allowing the College Republicans to continue being an official part of the university.

Since Liberty is a private university the legal action that members of the organization can take is not as clear said Michael Gerhardt" law professor at UNC.

""It's unusual for student democrats to lose their opportunity to organize"" Gerhardt said.

John Lawrence, chairman of the Lynchburg Democratic Party, said he was just as surprised when the university revoked its recognition but now thinks such measures are becoming a pattern with the university.

Students were doing good" positive things" he said. They had done everything they could to conform to the university. They were approved all along.""

But Gerhardt said it was unlikely the ban could be challenged in court.

The act is causing concern among democrats and student organizations nationwide after Vice President of Student Affairs Mark Hine said the organization wasn't living up to the image of the university.

""We are unable to lend support to a club whose parent organization stands against the moral principles held by the university" Hine said in the e-mail.

The Democratic Party platform is contrary to the mission of Liberty University and to Christian doctrine (supports abortion federal funding of abortion advocates repeal of the federal Defense of Marriage Act" promotes the ""LGBT"" agenda…)" Hine continued in the e-mail.

Lawrence said Hine's implied message in the e-mail is what is disturbing.

The language implies that you can't be a democrat and Christian" Lawrence said.

After facing national criticism, Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. announced on May 21 that the organization could still exist and hold meetings as long as the name of the university was not associated with any of their activities.

Official recognition carries with it the benefit of using the university name and funds" Falwell said in a statement.

While this group will not be an officially recognized club it may still meet on campus he said.

Liberty University will not lend its name or financial support to any student group that advances causes contrary to its mission he said.

Lawrence said Liberty's tax- exempt status should be examined if they continue to take such political actions.

Liberty seeks to control Lynchburg he said. You can be against democrats" but then don't portray yourself as though you aren't political.""

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.