The “Special Anti-Racist Issue” that blanketed many copies of Tuesday’s Daily Tar Heel again raises a host of overlapping ethical and social justice issues that were brought to head at last semester’s incident involving former U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo, beginning with free speech on campus and leading to the emotionally charged issues of racism and immigration reform.

As an embodiment of the University’s commitment to exploring and advancing our understanding of ethics, The Parr Center for Ethics collaborates directly with students, faculty and community members in planning public events, workshops, trainings and curriculum development, with the aim of fostering a constructive dialogue that addresses these hot-button issues in a productive academic and educational setting.

This year we have planned several events that will provide such a platform for dialogue: a two-part panel discussion tackling immigration reform.

Additional issues we will address this year include American health care reform, the food production industry, human biological enhancement and the conflicts between religion and secularism in the public sphere.

Please get involved by visiting our Web site (parrcenter.unc.edu). We’d love to hear from you.

Jan Boxill, Ph.D.
Director
Parr Center for Ethics