Welcome to a new dailytarheel.com

Let us know how we can improve

The Daily Tar Heel has always been at the forefront of digital innovation. When we launched our Web site in 1994, we were one of the first newspapers to set foot in cyberspace.

Since then, we haven’t stopped innovating. If you're on our site now, you’ve seen our latest effort: a brand new dailytarheel.com. We’ve been working on the site throughout the summer and are pleased to bring you new features that will create a better online experience.

The Web site is at the forefront of our online goals for the upcoming year. Dailytarheel.com should be the place you go when you want to know what’s happening in your community. We’ll be posting more throughout the day so that if there’s something you need to know, it’ll be online.

We know all the kinks aren’t worked out yet, and we fully expect that you will have ideas for the Web site we hadn’t thought of. We want feedback. If something isn’t working, or if you have an idea for something we could do, drop us a line.

— Sara Gregory, managing editor for online  |  E-mail  |  On Twitter 

Social media

We want you to come to dailytarheel.com, but we’re also committed to going where you go online. We’ll be using social media to stay in touch.

• Our new community manager, Emily Stephenson, is reaching out to readers through online social networks. She’s the face behind our main Twitter account, @dailytarheel, and also tweets on @dthbreak, our breaking-news-only feed. She’ll be talking with readers and sources, getting story ideas and getting feedback on how we’re doing.
  • We know Twitter isn’t for everyone. That’s why we’re also reaching out on Facebook. You can fan The Daily Tar Heel, send us story ideas, share pictures with us of campus life and let us know how we’re doing.
  • The new Web site features we’re most excited about are RSS feeds for every topic, tag, author and blog. You can follow your favorite columnists or keep up with the latest blog posts.

Blogging

Throughout the week, we’ll be launching a variety of blogs that will be full of daily posts, videos, photos and more.

• Pit Talk: Covering the lighter side of campus, Pit Talk is the place for features throughout the campus.
  • The Home Team: A blog written by UNC parents with tips for both students and parents about navigating college.
  • Dive: A complement to our weekly arts and entertainment section. Check the blog for reviews and interviews with local artists throughout the week.
  • Dispatches: Four UNC students studying abroad will write about their travels.
  • Between the (Broad)sheets: The Daily Tar Heel’s newsroom blog. We’ll explain editorial decisions, new Web site developments and answer reader questions.
  • The Orange Ballot: Campaigns for November’s municipal elections have already started, and this blog is the place to learn about the candidates who could represent you.
  • From the Press Box: The latest news from the sidelines of every varsity sport.
  • Party Czar: Features Editor Seth Wright is the Party Czar — UNC’s expert on college life outside of class.

As the year goes on, expect to see blogs dedicated to the arts community, photography and student government.

Hyperlinking

We started putting links in some of our stories over the summer. This semester we plan to link in all our stories. Our theory with linking is this: We aim to offer you the best news possible. But if someone else does it better, we owe it to you to share with you. Reporters writing for many of our blogs will also be using Publish2 to share links of what they’re reading.

Tagging and topic pages

The new Web site allows us to tag stories by topic. This will make it easier for you to find out more information about just one particular topic. We want the Web site to be a resource of information for students who constantly come and go. To accomplish this, each topic will have its own page on the Web site that collects all related stories. The page will also give a general overview of the subject, like this page does for Chancellor Holden Thorp.

Submit content

We know we can’t be everywhere, and we want you to share your college experience with us. You can send us photos or story ideas the following ways:

Coming this week

• A live chat with summer reading book author Paul Cuadros at 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cuadros will take questions about his book, “A Home on the Field.” Send in questions before the chat to ewstephe@email.unc.edu or tweet to @dailytarheel with #Cuadros.
  • Photos from Fall Fest. Get your picture taken with the national championship trophy and find it online.
  • Videos explaining our goals for the year and walking you through the new Web site.
  • A directory of Daily Tar Heel editors and reporters on Twitter. 

Coming soon

• A crime map that shows what’s happening on campus and in Chapel Hill.
  • A calendar where you can sort events by type and submit events of your own.