Field Hockey: UNC transition sinks Deacons

Freshman  midfielder Kelsey Kolojejchick dished out an assist and had three shots.
Freshman midfielder Kelsey Kolojejchick dished out an assist and had three shots.

What was most impressive was not the number of goals the Tar Heels scored in their 4-1 victory against Wake Forest on Friday, but the flair with which UNC found the back of the net.

Throughout the game, the No. 4 Tar Heels exhibited a fast-paced transition offense that was both efficient and exciting.

“It’s more entertaining and I think we can really set up on defense,” freshman midfielder Kelsey Kolojejchick said of the team’s offensive strategy.

“They really don’t see it coming sometimes and we have the speed in our midfield and forwards that once we get the ball, we can just go with it.”

Though No. 2 Wake Forest controlled possession early in the game, UNC was able to keep the pressure on the Demon Deacons by rapidly transitioning from defense to offense.

“We talk about an intercept being instant offense,” UNC coach Karen Shelton said.

“We have really good team speed, so we’re going to run and gun.”

The counterattack started with the defense. Time and again, UNC defenders stole the ball from an opponent and looked upfield for streaking midfielders and forwards to attack the goal and finish.

It was that final step that proved problematic for UNC early in the game.

“In the first half we were looking for the big play,” Shelton said. “What happens is they look long, and instead of making a simple pass and taking two passes to get to the same point, they want to do it in one.”

However, the frenetic pace set by the UNC midfield eventually wore down the opposition. The Tar Heels took the lead for good on a late first-half goal from Illse Davids and controlled the game from there on out, out-shooting the Demon Deacons 10-3 in the second half.

While the team’s run-and-gun style of play seemed to delight the record 1,231 fans who packed Henry Stadium on Friday, it’s also popular amongst the players themselves.

“Our fast-paced style of game generally puts them under pressure and if eventually they can’t keep up, they’re gonna get tired,” senior Melanie Brill said after the game.

“We love to run teams into the ground. It’s really fun.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.