Football: Burney, Williams lead talented secondary

Depth an issue for defensive backs

Trimane Goddard is gone and so are more than a third of North Carolina’s interceptions from last season, but that isn’t indicative of where the remaining defensive backs are now.

Entering the 2009 football season, UNC’s secondary is arguably the weakest part of the team’s defense, although that is more of a testament to the rest of the defense's depth and strength.

The Tar Heels are returning three of the four starters in the secondary — including safety Deunta Williams, and cornerbacks Jordan Hemby and Kendric Burney.

Coach Butch Davis and his staff have all noted the improvement that the defensive backs have made during the preseason.

“The thing that you have to judge them against is where are they in comparison to where they were in the springtime, and then, where are they in comparison to where you feel like that they can be,” Davis said.

“I will tell you that I think every one of them are better football players than they were at the end of spring.”

In fact, the progression has been so broad that Hemby was in a position battle that was “too close to call” with Charles Brown for the No. 2 cornerback spot. But on Monday, Brown was named the starter.

He was the starting nickle corner last season and would typically play most when the opposing team had three wide receivers on the field to match up with them.

Davis praised Brown’s fundamentals and techniques during the spring while equally commenting on the consistent play of Hemby.

Although the secondary is not without competition, it does lack a good amount of depth, which could prove to be a weakness if the team experiences fatigue or injury.

“It may be that right now we only have three corners, that one may be the backup to both sides and go in and play a pretty significant amount,” Davis said.

Depth is always good to keep players fresh during a game but the lack of depth will give the top defensive backs a lot of playing time and continued experience.

One of the biggest causes for the lack of depth in the secondary is the loss of safety Matt Merletti to an ACL injury. Merletti was one of the top reserves last season at safety.

“We are kind of having some auditions and stuff with our nickel backs,” Davis said. “We’ve taken a look at some guys; Melvin Williams is one of them. Some of the young, incoming corners. Gene Robinson, Terry Shankle. Those guys. Mywan Jackson; we are taking a look at some of those guys”.

Davis has even referred to Zach Brown as another option in the nickel defense. Traditionally, teams may match up their nickel or third cornerback with the opponent's third wide receiver, but Davis has suggested they could use the linebacker in nickel situations because of his speed.

Amid the competition and uncertainty in the secondary, Williams and Burney stand out as ready to lead the defensive backs.

Burney received second team All-ACC honors last season and Deunta Williams is a former ACC defensive rookie of the year. Even without those honors, both players have two full seasons as a starter and are expected to have good years.

Last season both Williams and Burney tallied three interceptions, which was tied for the second highest total on the team.

Williams, alongside Burney, will finally play the role that was almost destined for him since his rookie season as a veteran, mentor and leader.

“Burney has improved …Deunta is playing well, so we’re pleased with the way the secondary is playing so far,” Davis said.