Football: Sturdivant and Carter to lead

North Carolina’s junior linebacker Quan Sturdivant has probably been compared to many athletes during his career.

Maybe to fellow ACC linebackers, possibly even to some of UNC’s greatest defenders. But the athlete that fellow backer Bruce Carter likened Sturdivant to doesn’t quite fit that mold: NBA player Tim Duncan.

“He gets the job done, but at the same time, he doesn’t show that much emotion,” Carter said. “For me, I’m trying to get him to get out of that and show some more emotion and get excited.”

Even the reserved Sturdivant has reason to be excited entering this season. He led the nation last year with 87 solo tackles, and he is poised to take charge of a defense that lost just two starters from a year ago.

But in spite of Carter’s efforts, No. 52 will likely stay away from any flashiness again this year.

“I just try to let my play speak for itself,” Sturdivant said.

Even if it’s not in celebration, Sturdivant will need to be more vocal this season. He moved from the weak side to middle linebacker, and took on play-calling duties for the defense.

On the strong side once again will be Carter, who showed a propensity for being in the right place at the right time in 2008. He led the Tar Heels in tackles for loss and sacks, and he led the nation with five blocked punts.

“I guess it’s just my knack for the ball,” Carter said. “Wherever I can make plays, I’m just going to try to do whatever I can do. I think that’s just the main thing, my knack for the ball.”

With their neighboring positions, Carter and Sturdivant are never too far away from each other on the football field. Off the field, it’s the same story. The two linebackers are roommates.

“That’s my man,” Sturdivant said. “We’ve got good chemistry out there. He knows what I’m thinking. I know what he’s thinking out there.”

Making a strong case to join the two veterans on the weak side are freshman Kevin Reddick and speedy sophomore Zach Brown.

They have the advantage of learning from their older teammates as they compete for time, especially with Sturdivant having played that position last year.

But according to Carter, the third linebacker spot will likely not be a one-man show.

“I think both of them are going to play, to tell you the truth,” he said. “I mean, you can shift them in and out. Both of them are athletic, they know what they’re doing, and they want to play.

“You can take that and go wherever you want with it.”

The Tar Heels have a lot of talent returning to the defensive side of the ball. But for the man in the middle, simply returning isn’t enough. Sturdivant must go from playmaker to leader. Like it or not, it’s his turn in the spotlight.

It’s a role he has embraced so far.

“The thing I admire most about Quan is his determination,” Carter said. “He is always willing to do whatever it’s got to take. He moved from (weak side) to (middle), and he hasn’t complained yet. He just went in there and started making plays.”