Football: UNC ready for GT’s option

Bruce Carter and the rest of the Tar Heels have prepped for Ga. Tech since training camp. DTH File/Sam Ward

Ten minutes out of every practice during preseason, Butch Davis had his team take some time to prepare for the most unique offense they would face in the ACC.

Davis and No. 22 North Carolina were prepping for Georgia Tech and the Yellow Jackets’ triple-option attack.

“They’ve added some things … to get the ball to the perimeter that last year really and truly weren’t there for them, just because of the added talent that they’ve got on their roster,” Davis said of Georgia Tech. “Which makes it even more difficult.

“So you’ve got to play disciplined. You’ve got to tackle well.”

It will be a key matchup for the two teams Saturday, since Georgia Tech leads the ACC in rushing offense with 243.7 yards per game, and UNC leads the conference in rushing defense, allowing a stingy 52.3 yards per game.

Also, UNC hasn’t won in Atlanta since 1997.

Georgia Tech’s unusual offense carried the team to a 9-4 record in 2008 and a berth in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. The Yellow Jackets also return the 2008 ACC player of the year, running back Jonathan Dwyer.

Dwyer was limited for most of Georgia Tech’s last game with a shoulder injury. Quarterback Josh Nesbitt leads the Yellow Jackets with 71 rushing yards per game.

Both are behind UNC tailback Shaun Draughn, who is third in the ACC with 74.4 yards per game.

And while Saturday’s contest doesn’t figure to turn into a pass-heavy shoot-out, it is important to note that in Georgia Tech’s last game, the Yellow Jackets gave up 270 passing yards to Miami in a 33-17 loss.

In UNC’s last game against ECU, the Tar Heels had their first 100-yard receiver. Freshman Erik Highsmith reeled in six catches for 113 yards and a touchdown.

When the two teams met in 2008, UNC used wideout Hakeem Nicks to jump out to an early 21-0 lead and never looked back, winning 28-7.

“We got kind of a head start going into this week,” junior linebacker Quan Sturdivant said.

“It’s a complicated offense. Last year’s game, we played pretty good, so I think last year’s game helps us out a lot with the experience we had playing against it.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.