Football: UNC’s hopes resting on Yates’ arm

Backups are shuffled from last year

In 2008, North Carolina’s quarterback depth was more than secure: UNC had an established starter in T.J. Yates, an experienced backup in Cameron Sexton, and a young gunslinger in Mike Paulus.

But in 2009, it looks like UNC's hopes for the season will rest on the shoulders — more precisely, the right shoulder and arm — of Yates.

Sexton, the capable backup, transferred to get a chance to start in Division II. Paulus appeared in four games last season and only completed four of his 13 pass attempts while tossing two picks, and Braden Hanson, a redshirt freshman, is challenging Paulus for the backup role.

Hanson hails from Charlotte and was North Carolina Gatorade Player of the Year in 2007.

Making things look even more tenuous is Yates run of injuries, which caused him to miss five games last season and hindered him down the stretch in 2007.

Toss in the three new starters on the offensive line, and the result will undoubtedly be plenty of nerve-wracking moments for coach Butch Davis and offensive coordinator John Shoop.

So it comes as no secret that an emphasis for Yates during this training camp and offseason was movement.

"One thing we’re asking him to do is really do a great job in the pocket, when he is moving, keeping plays alive, extending them, keeping his eyes downfield," Davis said.

It's an important thing to remember: Yates has three years learning the offense, and the better part of two seasons executing it.

"His comfort level with our offense is very good," Davis said. "He’s got a really good knowledgeable command of everything that we're asking."

And while Yates is, without question, the guy under center for the Tar Heels to open 2009, there are some intriguing options behind him on the UNC roster.

There is Paulus, who still carries a highly touted high school billing, but hasn’t seen the field much for UNC. He most notably saw action in 2008 against Virginia Tech when Yates went down with an injury. Paulus threw two interceptions after coming into the game cold, and UNC gave away a lead against the Hokies, losing 20-17.

And while Paulus has stated multiple times this preseason that he is ready to come in should Yates go down again, he remained on the bench for the rest of the season after lasting just two drives in the next game against Miami.

Behind Paulus and Hanson, the waters become a little more murky.

Somewhere in the mix is A.J. Blue, a freshman who sandwiched a year of prep school at Hargrave Military Academy between North Gaston High School and UNC.

Blue comes to North Carolina listed as an athlete, but he made his name in high school as an athletic quarterback.

Blue has already gained the respect of his teammates, who say he has the strongest arm on the team.

"That kid can throw the ball so far," Yates said, shaking his head. "He's definitely a versatile player, he's fast, he's strong, he's built like a junior or senior."

Blue has also been featured in some wildcat and option formations in practice this preseason.