Free parking in Chapel Hill?

Town Council discusses options

Some downtown parking could become free, and parking meters could accept credit cards if recommendations discussed Monday by the Chapel Hill Town Council are adopted.

The board discussed three ways to alleviate downtown’s notoriously inconvenient parking — eliminating fees at some lots after 6 p.m., changing payment methods at meters and raising meter costs.

One of the three lots considered for free parking was the high-traffic lot at 100 E. Rosemary St.

Town business management director Kenneth Pennoyer said the estimated annual revenue loss from that lot alone would be $163,200, too much of a loss to justify the move.

But the other two lots, one on West Rosemary Street and one on West Franklin Street, would together lose less — $48,360 annually.

Pennoyer also proposed an increase in meter rates from $1 per hour to $1.25 per hour.

The increase in parking meter rates would encourage downtown visitors to use off-street parking, he said.

“Basically it provides more opportunity for parking turnover on the street,” Pennoyer said.

The town also heard plans to depart from traditional meter-feeding methods.

Pennoyer shared three methods Chapel Hill could make parking easier: converting existing meters to debit or credit card-accepting meters, building pay stations that would serve eight meters each and adopting pay-by-phone technology.

Several cities, including Charlotte and Raleigh, have already begun transitioning to the pay-station option, he said.

Despite its initial $107,000 price tag, council members gravitated toward the individual card-accepting option.

“This is something that makes parking easier in downtown,” councilman Ed Harrison said. “It looks more expensive up front, but it tends to pay off pretty well.”

The council will discuss adoption of the proposals at a future meeting.

The motion to accept the recommendations passed 6-1, with Laurin Easthom opposing.

She said rather than increasing parking meter rates, the town should look for other sources of revenue.

“This is the wrong message to send, that the town of Chapel Hill is raising parking rates,” Easthom said. “Parking is hard enough in Chapel Hill. The last thing I want to do is raise rates.”