Last Tuesday, Student Congress passed a bill that would restructure the UNC delegation to the Association of Student Governments to better reflect both the balance of power between the executive and legislative branches of our student government as well as the composition of the student body in general.

Rather than signing this bill into law or vetoing it outright, Student Body President Jasmin Jones is using a political maneuver to preserve her near-total control of UNC’s ASG delegation.

Jones, it appears, will neither sign nor veto a bill that requires one of the ASG delegates to be approved by the Graduate and Professional Student Federation president.

Instead, it appears that she will ignore the bill and try to push the two undergraduates, whom she appointed, through Student Congress and get them approved as delegates.

Members of Congress and the student body at large should be upset with Jones’ blatant sidestepping of important legislation.

Jones is acting to serve only her own interests in preserving power in the executive branch.

This move also disenfranchises 40 percent of the student body (graduate and professional students). I urge my fellow students and members of Congress to contact their student body president to express their concern with her actions.

Emily Danforth
Graduate student
Student Congress representative, District 8