Man injured in fight on Franklin Street

Traffic dispute led to fight

IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2054.JPG

Updated 10:39 p.m. - One man was injured and another arrested after a fight in front of Top of the Hill at about 4:15 p.m. Saturday.

Chapel Hill Police said the man is being treated at UNC Hospitals and is expected to survive. Witnesses said he suffered a blow to the head and blood could be seen on the street.

Roderick Gattis was arrested for assault inflicting serious injury, Chapel Hill Police Officer Chuck Quinlin said

Brawnell Simms, of Wilmington, said he saw the fight break out when he was about to cross Franklin Street to eat at Top of the Hill.

One car cut off another car, he said. A man came out from each car and started shouting at and then hitting the other.

"Next thing I know, one guy is laying on the street," he said, adding that the man was bleeding from his head.

Both men had passengers in their cars, Simms said.

More than five police cars and an ambulance responded to the incident.

Karen Davis, of Raleigh, said she saw broken eyeglasses and flip flops on the street.

The scene was cleared by police by 5:15 p.m. Police went upstairs to Top of the Hill and interviewed patrons for witness accounts, Simms said.

Quinlin said officers are talking to investigators about arresting the other man once he is released from the hospital. Police would not release his name.