I recently replied to a column by Domenic R.A. Powell (“Pause helpful for calmer analysis,” Aug. 26), which compared Youth for Western Civilization to a rotten apple, claiming that Marcus Epstein, charged with a hate crime, was an early leader.

My own research indicates that Epstein was never a member or leader. This claim evidently originated with the One People’s Project, which states that “YWC is a vile, vile group who’s members focus is ... to educate, organize and train activists on campuses across the nation to create a culture that will promote the survival of Western Civilization and pride in Western heritage”.

I am at a loss to know what is vile in this statement. What is vile and perhaps fascist is the disruption of University-sanctioned events because of disagreement with views that may be expressed.

Responding to my inquiry, Harrison Jobe, The Daily Tar Heel opinion editor, said “This was not published because you appear to have your facts wrong.”

He cited the Southern Poverty Law Center as his authority, saying “I trust their documentation on hate groups,” neglecting to offer evidence from a primary source.

Jobe’s final statement to me was “You are more than welcome to submit a letter to the editor on your opinion, but no false information in it will be published.”

It is a sad day when an editor of the DTH decides what the truth is, based on his prejudices.

Elliot Cramer
Adviser-select, Youth for Western Civilization
Professor Emeritus Psychology