Students should wash hands more often, swine flu study says

As H1N1 continues to sweep across college campuses, a study has found that preventative measures are not being consistently taken, even during times of heightened awareness.

The study conducted at the University of Guelph in Canada by researches from three different universities, including N.C. State University, found that students over-report how often they practice hand sanitation, a key component of preventing the spread of infectious diseases.

The study surveyed students suffering from norovirus, a pathogen known to cause outbreaks in college dormitories.

Researchers believe that the results of the study can be related to the H1N1 outbreak as well.

According to the study, of the 82 percent of students who reported that they always followed hand-hygiene guidelines, only 17 percent were observed actually taking advantage of a sanitizer dispenser located in the university’s cafeteria, said Ben Chapman, assistant professor at N.C. State University and co-author of the study.

Chapman said the research findings will benefit students if university officials explain the consequences of not washing their hands through media that students frequently use.

“People didn’t hear about the outbreak through traditional universal communications. It was spread through social media networking,” he said.

“The biggest thing is that we need to talk to college students like they talk amongst themselves.”

Jerry Barker, associate vice chancellor for student affairs at NCSU, said the university has encouraged students to be cautious during times of outbreaks by covering their coughs and continually washing their hands.

They have also talked about using some of the suggestions from the study, such as targeting specific concentrations of students in the dining hall, he said.

NCSU has had about 500 cases of suspected H1N1 since the beginning of the semester, Barker said.

UNC-Chapel Hill has targeted students directly with Campus Alert e-mails, advising those with H1N1 to self-isolate for at least 24 hours after their fever resolves without fever-reducing medications.

The Campus Health Services Web site also advises students to prepare for H1N1 before they even develop symptoms by practicing basic preventative measures such as hand washing.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.