UNC swimmers take top spots in open-water competition

The North Carolina swim team’s season doesn’t start until Oct. 8, but Tar Heel swimmers have already begun winning races.

UNC junior Joe Kinderwater won Saturday’s fifth annual Pier-2-Pier Swim Race, an open-water event held at Wrightsville Beach.

More than 350 male and female swimmers ranging in age from 11 to 67 years old joined Kinderwater in the 1.71 mile ocean swim between Johnny Mercer Pier and Crystal Pier.

“In the ocean it’s different; there are no lane lines and no markings on the bottom of the pool to guide you,” Kinderwater said. “I’ve done a bunch of open-water swimming. I like it; it’s so different from the pool.”

Kinderwater finished first with a time of 32 minutes, 30 seconds and was followed by UNC teammate Wil Singley, a sophomore from Southlake, Texas, who finished in second with a time of 32:50.

“Swimming in the pool sometimes feels like the same daily grind. Open-water events are really fun,” Singley said. “It’s a good distance, and you get to hang out at the beach and bond with teammates.”

Both Singley and Kinderwater swim freestyle for UNC, competing in the mile and 500-meter races. Singley, who also swims 200-meter freestyle, said his key to success was to try to keep up with teammate Kinderwater.

“I knew Joe is an open water vet, so I wanted to stay close to him. Being right behind Joe was a lot of fun,” Singley said. “Second place was a great experience.”

The Pier-2-Pier race is not an official meet, and the swimmers said they chose to swim because they enjoy the experience.

Kinderwater also competed last year, finishing with a time of 33:29.

“This race is really fun and a good atmosphere for us,” Kinderwater said. “We have fun with it, and it allows us to do well, and it’s a good way to start the season.”

Coach Rich DeSelm was not involved in the event but is a fan.

“It’s a short, fun meet. You get some competition going and get to go down to the beach,” DeSelm said.

All three hoped that this early success will be a sign of things to come in the upcoming season.

“A dual meet and the Pier-2-Pier are so different, but it’s a good start to have fun and continue with it,” Kinderwater said.

Singley said he was excited that they did so well prior to the start of the season.

“It’s nice to send a message that we had early success without a whole lot of training. Imagine when we go in the pool full-out.” Singley said. “Everyone is a hard worker, but we really try to take it to the next level.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.