Aesop’s fable shows the way for decision on Tar Heel running backs

The classic tale of the tortoise and the hare has never been more pertinent than it is now.

The fable, which dates back to the fifth century B.C., can be difficult to relate to.

And so in order to make a connection, I have changed it to add a more modern flair.

For the character known as the hare, we will use Shaun Draughn, and for the tortoise, Ryan Houston.

The story begins when the hare and tortoise, or Draughn and Houston if you are following along, decide to race. Draughn is, of course, the favorite. His record speaks for itself and his experience is unrivaled.

But Houston’s philosophy of slow and steady has never failed him before.

Soon all the spectators gather, eagerly anticipating the race, and then it commences.

As expected, Draughn takes a big lead right from the start. He speeds around the bends and obstacles with ease.

Houston goes through them.

But Draughn builds such a large lead during the race that he decides to slow down, unsuspecting of a Houston come back.

But Houston does catch up and crosses the finish line just before Draughn, even with Draughn’s late push.

The fable ends like most fables do, with a moral — slow and steady wins the race.

And so the question is, will slow and steady win at UNC?

North Carolina’s running game has recently looked like a kid learning to ride a bicycle. They just can’t get anything started.

Draughn has run hard but only has 274 yards on 74 carries to show for it. That’s an average of 3.7 yards per carry.

Houston has carried the ball only 34 times for 159 yards. Many of those carries have been on third-down situations where the defense knows Houston will be running the ball, but he is still averaging 4.7 yards per carry. He’s just a better fit with UNC’s O-line.

And who’s to say a bigger, less flashy running back can’t be an every down guy?

Just look at Brandon Jacobs, running back for the New York Giants. Jacobs isn’t known for his speed, but he gets the job done with brute size and strength.

Statistics don’t lie. It’s time to give slow and steady a shot.

Contact at markdt@email.unc.edu.