Bonfires can pose danger, student input is needed

In response to Monday’s article, “Leaders are not anti-bonfire,” (Oct. 5) we would like to point out the original intent of the partnership between the Jones Administration, the Carolina Athletic Association and Carolina Fever.

All three administrations are working together to enact a safer celebration policy, intended to provide enhanced alternative forms of celebrating UNC wins on Franklin Street.

While touring the N.C. Jaycee Burn Center, we were exposed to the potential danger of burn injuries that could result from extreme celebrations. The numbers from the article (“12 out of 60,000”) should not be taken lightly.

These numbers alone were enough to merit our attention and participation in a safety initiative, and we want to determine the safest ways of celebrating before any more serious injuries occur or, worse, the death of any student. We want to embrace fun, traditional ways of celebrating, and do so while acknowledging the importance of student safety.

As representatives for student government, CAA and Carolina Fever, we represent the entire student body. When it comes to an issue as controversial as the potential abolition of bonfires, student leaders should first consult students.

Our administrations will only serve throughout the remainder of the year, but any decision about this issue will affect both current and future students.

Student forums in the near future will foster dialogue between students, administrators and the town of Chapel Hill, to express concerns over bonfires.

Desmond Rowe
Carolina Fever Co-Chairman

John Russell
Carolina Athletic Association President