Boyd slows down to discuss his mentor, mama’s boys

Wide receiver Jheranie Boyd is the successor to the No. 87 jersey previously worn by Brandon Tate. As a true freshman, Boyd has shown glimpses of Tate-like abilities as a deep threat, most notably his 59-yard touchdown reception against ECU.

The 6-foot-2 Gastonia native caught up with Assistant SportSaturday editor Mark Thompson to chat about who really has the most swag, what he puts on his eye-black­ — and his mama.

Mark Thompson: What’s your favorite part about being at North Carolina?

Jheranie Boyd: Um, I would say probably everything: the people, going to class, meeting new people, you see a ton of girls, stuff like that.

MT: Have any of the wide receivers taken you under their wing as a mentor to you?

JB: I would say Johnny White. We talk every day.  If I have any personal problems I come to him and talk to him, and when I’m on the field he helps me out so I would say Johnny White.

MT: Do you have a nickname on the team yet?

JB: Um, they call me J-Boyd.

MT: So, I’ve been hearing a lot about swag and who’s got the most swag. Which positional unit has the most swag?

JB: Oh it’s got to be the wide receivers. I think we’ve got way more swag.  Even when we come out with our eye-black, we’ve got the best things. I change mine up every week with “gas house” or something like that. I would say the receivers.

MT: So out of all the wide receivers, who has the most swag?

JB: I have no clue. If I had to chose I would say Todd Harrelson tries to have the most swag, tries, tries. I would probably say he has it.

MT: What are some of the things you have had on your eye-black?

JB: I put “speed man” this week. I’ll probably put “mama’s boy” or something like that. I just like to mix it up and put “Spiderman,” “Batman,” things like that.

MT: Are you a big mama’s boy?

JB: Uh, I would say I am. She comes to every game. She doesn’t leave campus ‘til 10 o’clock at night on game days.

MT: What’s one thing you miss most about not being at home?

JB: I would say the classrooms  in high school. Everything is inside. In college you’ve got to walk everywhere, and you’ve got to get up.  And in college you can’t sleep, you have a gap where you can sleep, then go to class, sleep, then go to class. So I like that.

MT: Do you have a Twitter account?

JB:  No I don’t. I don’t even know what Twitter is. I don’t mess with that Twitter stuff.