I am confused by the editorial board’s contradictory endorsement of Matt Czajkowski for mayor of Chapel Hill (“Czajkowski for mayor,” Oct. 21). Mark Kleinschmidt is obviously the best choice.

The editorial board eloquently outlined Kleinschmidt’s many attributes, failing only to note that Kleinschmidt is the only candidate that has sought widespread student feedback for his campaign and, like Czajkowski, is very committed to revitalizing Franklin Street and Chapel Hill businesses.

The editorial’s one criticism — the fact that he seems more concerned with social justice than with improving the economy — is ridiculous. The two are not mutually exclusive.

In The Daily Tar Heel’s article on homelessness, Kleinschmidt was the only candidate to say he would focus on eliminating the economic problems that cause homelessness. Czajkowski suggested moving the Rosemary Street homeless center further away from downtown. In this one issue, Kleinschmidt proves that the economy and social justice are not battling priorities.

The editorial noted Czajkowski’s business prowess and his willingness to dissent alone on the Chapel Hill Town Council as reasons that he’s the best candidate.

Czajkowski’s business savvy is undeniable. But, as the editorial pointed out, “Under (Kleinschmidt’s) leadership, Chapel Hill became more friendly to businesses without harming the unique feel of Chapel Hill through the creation of the Economic Development Office.”

Has Czajkowski proven his savvy on the Town Council the way Kleinschmidt has?

And while Czajkowski has often been the “lone dissenter” on the Council, there’s a fine line between bold dissent and counterproductive lack of cooperation.

Kleinschmidt is the best choice for mayor, and I think even the editorial board knows that.

Anasa Hicks
Junior
History