Defense controls blazing speed with technique

LB Quan Sturdivant and the UNC defense are one of the fastest units in the country. DTH File/Andrew Dye

North Carolina’s defensive makeup is full of fast, quick, powerful players — and they aren’t afraid to say it­.

“We’re looking for very explosive guys — guys with great quickness and power,” defensive coordinator Everett Withers said.

There may be no better incarnation of that speed and power than sophomore linebacker Zach Brown. Brown ran a 4.28 40-yard dash earlier this year, impressive for a 6-foot-2, 220-pound frame.

But Brown isn’t the only player on the defense with remarkable athleticism and speed for his position. Linebacker Quan Sturdivant has clocked a 4.43 40-yard dash, and defensive end Robert Quinn ran a 4.51, which broke Julius Peppers’ record for a D-lineman.

“On the defensive line, speed is good because when you get off and you want to pass rush, you want to beat the offensive lineman to a point,” senior defensive end E.J. Wilson said.

“Offensive lineman are taught to take two steps back so they can set to block you, but if you can get into that comfort zone before those two steps then that will be important.”

Speed can enhance any player because it allows him to flow to the point of attack on the field faster.

But even with a plethora of fast defensive players, Withers knows that having speed is only as good as the mind that controls it.

“It doesn’t matter physically if they can’t do it mentally,” he said. “With having great speed and great quickness, you have to have the ability to learn and do the things that you can do to play the defense that you are in.”

Withers referred to the Georgia Tech game as an example of the team’s mental breakdown.

The Tar Heels gave up 317 rushing yards against Georgia Tech, a stat that wouldn’t have been affected by an ounce more of speed.

“That’s the equalizer in big ball games,” Withers said. “It doesn’t usually come down to speed and quickness. It comes down to fundamentals and technique.”

But UNC’s technique hasn’t been too bad. Their attention to detail is one of the reasons they have the ACC’s top-ranked defense.

“Technique will help you out a lot,” cornerback Kendric Burney said. “It will make up for a lot of speed.”

Whether the players have top-end speed or not, many of them have game speed.

It may be how fast they can get to the ball or how fast they can turn and change directions.

Those kinds of instincts are often products of game knowledge, Withers said.

“If we’re playing fast, and we’re playing fast at 11 positions, it means we know what to do,” he said.