Field Hockey: Frosh learns from ?rst loss

After answering questions about No. 2 North Carolina’s first loss of the season, freshman Kelsey Kolojejchick forced a smile and then turned when she heard her name called.

She made her way over to the multitude of parents and received a massive hug.

“It’s hard for her to take her first loss at Carolina. I know she didn’t like it at all, and that’s a competitor for you,” UNC coach Karen Shelton said.

Against No. 1 Maryland, Kolojejchick was a ubiquitous playmaker, intercepting passes on defense and pushing the ball downfield on offense.

It was a mixture of her speed and instincts that allowed Kolojejchick to make so many plays for the Tar Heels, the same traits that landed her a spot on the team’s penalty corner defense as well.

“I think Kelsey played fantastic, and she played with a lot of heart and emotion,” Shelton said. “I think she — in the first half especially — totally dominated her opposition, and she just made things happen.”

North Carolina controlled the ball for much of the first half, making crisp passes all over the field and keeping Maryland on their heels.

And just when Maryland was beginning to turn the tide in its favor, it seemed like Kolojejchick was there to spoil it and steal the ball.

“I really wanted to win, and I was going to do whatever it takes,” Kolojejchick said.

Maryland did eventually get its game going. The Terrapins put two points on the scoreboard before halftime and added two more in the second half.

North Carolina had become visibly frustrated by that point, but that didn’t slow down the effort from Kolojejchick. The team’s effort led to a goal in the last minute of play to avoid being shut out.

“You know, (Shelton) was proud of us that we didn’t give up at all,” Kolojejchick said. “We saw how well they can play, and they didn’t see our full potential yet because we didn’t score. So we just have to fix a few mistakes, and then I think we are going to give them a better game in the finals.”

Even as a freshman, Kolojejchick has established herself as a major threat to opponents. Her 13 goals this season are the second-most on the team.

With one game left on the schedule against rival Old Dominion, the Tar Heels are already looking forward to a potential rematch with Maryland in the finals of the ACC Tournament.

“They’re going to have the top seed, but I like being an underdog,” Kolojejchick said. “They always have something to look out for, so now we have to come back for them next time.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.